[get_iplayer] How to work around installer failing to download component?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 08:31:53 PDT 2014

On 17/04/2014 09:09, Jonathan H wrote:
> http://www.afterdawn.com/software/general/download_splash.cfm/ffmpeg_64-bit
> which gave me
> ffmpeg-20140412-git-513a431-win64-static7z.exe
> but I couldn't for the life of my work out how to "point" get_iplayer to it.

There is an option for that.  See if you can spot it:

https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/options#external-program-options

Don't edit %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\get_iplayer\options - that's for use by the
installer.

> But I was wondering if there's a way to get round this if it happens
> with other components?

No.  The installer configuration file (with download links)  is
downloaded every time the installer runs.

> Of could the installer perhaps have a second "failover mirror" list
> for the components?

If the download sites should ever become consistently unreliable, I'll
post all the helper apps on Sourceforge and let them do the mirroring.
Sites such as the one you used are no good for the installer because
they don't give direct access to the download, in the above case
employing javascript to direct your browser to the actual download link.