Changed subtitle format

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Sep 24 23:01:21 EDT 2013

On Tue Sep 24 12:28:42 EDT 2013, dinkypumpkin wrote:

>The SRT files don't carry any sort of alignment or positioning
>information, so it's left up to the media player how to display
>subtitles.

 Since the subs are shown "centered" on-line, in the iPlayer
embedded Adobe Flash Player, I - out of pure ignorance -
wrongly assumed that this positioning information must be
stored inside the raw subs file and that this same information
was responsible - after being processed by GiP - for the
prepending of "-  " before every line in the final .srt file.
 Thank you for clearing this out for me.

>> However, in both cases an individual subtitle line begins with:
>> "-  ", i.e. a dash and a double space.
>
>get_iplayer does that when it sees structure that indicates multiple
>speakers in a single subtitle.  Unfortunately, this new subtitle format
>uses that structure even when there is only one speaker, so hyphens get
>prepended even though unnecessary.

 Again, thanks for the explanation - at the end of the day, it was not
a big issue for me, since I used SubtitleEdit to batch remove
all the unnecessary " "-  "  in front of every subtitle line.
 Better yet, I fed the original raw subs file (ttxt) to SE
and processed it according to my liking, also
retaining the original line breaks; I am aware of your list post
pertaining to this last matter, to which I will reply later, after I have
applied the fix and conducted some experiments...

As ever, many thanks DP for your ongoing support of GiP!

V.