Subtitles, Round 2

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 18:38:26 EDT 2013

On 24/09/2013 20:50, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> With this patch, subtitles should be formatted as they would be in the
> Flash player on the iPlayer site (incl. explicit line breaks), with one
> exception.  When there is a change of speaker in a subtitle, a leading
> hyphen is prepended to that speaker's dialogue.  The first (or only)
> speaker in a subtitle does not get a leading hyphen.  The old subtitle

To follow up from an off-list query: Demarcation of speaker changes
won't be perfect, and I don't think it will work at all with the new
subtitle format, meaning it won't work for any new programmes.  I'm
assuming that programmes already subtitled in the old format won't be
re-subtitled in the new format, so I've kept the speaker change
detection in get_iplayer, to use where possible.  At the very least it's
no worse than subtitles on the iPlayer site.

Also: I found a few cases where extra blank lines were being written to
the SRT file.  Code as been updated, links remain the same as original post.