Changed subtitle format

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Sep 24 01:32:31 EDT 2013

On Tue Sep 24 00:36:50 BST 2013, dinkypumpkin wrote:

>Patch has been merged.

 Hello, many thanks to Jonathan for writing the patch!
I have implemented the final patch from git here:

http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git/patch/f495e0d6df5a829c8b1aaa8c3b7e979066e0f1bc

onto my local copy of the get_iplayer.pl script, and re-tried this:

get_iplayer -i --pid=b03bjpcy --subtitles-only --subsraw

Prior to the patch, I'd get a truncated .srt file sized 10.7 KB;
with the patch applied, I do get a complete .srt file sized 63.3 KB.

However, in both cases an individual subtitle line begins with:

"-  ", i.e. a dash and a double space.

This most certainly isn't present in the raw subs file, nor is it
viewed on the iPlayer itself - what I do notice on the site though is
that if the first line of a two-lined sub is shorter than the second,
then it is pushed slightly to the right so as to be more "centered":

line 1: "     -----     "
line 2: "  ---------  "

(I do not know how the list would show this, but I think you get
my drift...). If  what I see on GiP's srt file isn't just  on my system,
maybe an additional patch should address cases like the one I'm
reporting?

and previously on Mon Sep 23 23:05:50 BST 2013, wrote:

>If any subtitle users have a view on this
>one way or the other, chime in.
>get_iplayer doesn't honour explicit line breaks
>in subtitles, but it could.

I most often view video files on a hardware media player
connected to my TV via SCART cable, the player is fed
the file via USB memory stick. This media player (and an
older DVD player I have which only plays back avi files)
DOES NOT wrap subtitles. It is indeed in this case that I
am faced with the scenario Rob described, where very long
one-line-subs (the product of joining two long - or even
sometimes three - initial lines) cover the whole width of
my 29'' 4:3 TV screen.
 So I'd say I lean more on Rob's camp; and what DP said
about the subs being more easily read if aggregated to the
centre of the screen is again true for me... But I fear it's
just the failing eyesight after you reach 45...
 In any case, for general subtitles manipulation I'd have to,
without any hesitation, suggest the wonderful programme that
it is "Subtitle Edit" :
http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/

It is free & Open Source, with it you can do all sort of things
like break long lines, merge short ones, remove content for the
hearing-impaired (if you don't need it) and indeed has a plethora
of other features which makes it a "life-saver" for me...

Kind regards to you all,
Vangelis.