Downloading embedded video files

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Wed Oct 16 20:46:06 EDT 2013

TQ <tony at tqvideo.co.uk> wrote:

>Fron the command line
>
>c:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer>get_iplayer -v p01jvm93

Doesn't that need   --type=radio    somewhere, otherwise it will try and
find a matching tv programme?

and maybe   --pid=    in front of p01jvm93

Here, that pid only occurs in my radio.cache file, strongly implying that
it's an audio file not a video.

Or do you think "-v" means video?  It doesn't; it means "verbose output".

Looking at the website URL you mentioned that doesn't say anything about a
pid for a video, but if I follow the Videos link near the top of the page
to:

 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00z6mpg

I do find a list of videos.  These don't seemt to be mentioned in my
tv.cache file.  So does that mean that some entries in the radio.cache are
for videos?  If so, can GiP cope with that?  Surely it will use
audio-related utilities to process any file it manages to download?

I did manage to get something, using a command:

 get_iplayer --type=radio --verbose --long --fatfilename
   --whitespace --file-prefix "R=<name> E=<episode>"
   --aactomp3 --no-tag --get "6 Music Live at Maida Vale.*mccartney"

but I don't really know if it is audio or video, or maybe a video file
that's had audio extracted from it.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.