Duration time stamp jumps around in VLC playing downloaded radio.

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch marc at rintsch.de
Mon Nov 18 15:38:31 EST 2013

On 18/11/13 20:59, MS wrote:
> When playing radio programmes I've downloaded using get_iplayer in VLC
> the duration time jumps around instead of displaying an accurate fixed
> time, it constantly changes (usually in the region of 2-3 mins longer
> than the real duration). The playing time works correctly, each second
> ticking over at the correct rate, and the audio plays fine.
> […]
> ...Download complete
> avconv version 0.8.9-4:0.8.9-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2013
> the Libav developers built on Nov  9 2013 19:08:00 with gcc 4.6.3
> [flv @ 0x153a9c0] max_analyze_duration reached
> [flv @ 0x153a9c0] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
> Input #0, flv, from '/my/edit/path/to/file.partial.mp3.flv...
>
> Any ideas what's going wrong and how to fix this?

Sounds a bit like a missing or broken „xing header” in the MP3 file that
helps the player to figure out how much of the audio was already played.
 Maybe installing the mp3diags package can help you to identify and fix
the MP3 file.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
--
“If Microsoft is the solution, I want my problem back.”