Couple of problems since Wheezy stable install

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue May 7 11:26:35 EDT 2013

On 07/05/2013 13:38, Jake Tucker wrote:
> You asked why I build ffmpeg and rtmpdump. Well I'm a creature of
> habit but going back to why I started - I thought that ffmpeg in the
> Debian repos is built without lame. There's no real reason for
> rtmpdump. Just the way I've always done it with ffmpeg, rtmpdump and
> get_iplayer folders in a folder labelled git in my home folder.

That's no longer true for ffmpeg in wheezy.  The libmp3lame encoder is
built in.  I don't think ffmpeg in squeeze was ever changed, but the
ffmpeg builds available from squeeze-backports and deb-multimedia repos
also had libmp3lame built in.  The other wrinkle is that the ffmpeg in
the squeeze main repo is built from an old version of the original
ffmpeg.org code, while later versions (incl. wheezy) are built from the
libav.org fork, but that doesn't affect get_iplayer (not yet, anyway).
I refer you to Google for all the foolishness surrounding that schism.

As for rtmpdump, the packaged version is based on code 18 months old,
but I don't think any changes since then would make any difference to
get_iplayer.  It's easy to build, but it also shouldn't segfault just
because of keyring issues.  The packaged version doesn't, anyway.

> As for checking the value of $MATE_KEYRING_CONTROL. This is going
> above my knowledge of Linux. I put 'MATE_KEYRING_CONTROL' into a
> terminal and was rebuffed ('command not found' which is what I thought
> would happen). How do I check the value of $MATE_KEYRING_CONTROL?

Run "echo $MATE_KEYRING_CONTROL" at a command prompt.
MATE_KEYRING_CONTROL is an enviroment variable set when your desktop
session starts.

> Entering the same thing (MATE_KEYRING_CONTROL) into google shows me
> that I'm not the only one with MATE keyring problems.
> When I have a Linux problem I do like to understand the whole process
> that's causing the problem. Afterall if I plan to use MATE it looks
> like this could be something I need to understand. I do have a PC with

Looking back at your original message, I have an idea about what may be
happening.  I think you have a GNOME keyring daemon running in MATE
alongside the MATE equivalent and masking it.  When you log out from
GNOME Classic and log in to MATE, the GNOME keyring daemon is still
running but the associated keyring-XXXXXX dir in ~/.cache disappeared
when you logged out (thus the "No such file" error), and the GNOME
keyring applications are not configured to re-initialise properly in MATE.

I suggest first removing the mate-keyring package.  Then, edit the four
gnome-keyring*.desktop files in /etc/xdg/autostart so that the GNOME
keyring applications are configured to initialise properly in MATE.
Basically, that just means adding MATE to the OnlyShowIn key near the
bottom of each file.  I googled up a link that shows this for a similar
issue:

http://list.waikato.ac.nz/pipermail/wlug/2012-August/012107.html

After rebooting, log in to GNOME Classic, then log in to MATE, testing
rtmpdump in each.

I don't know if there is some specific reason you might need the
mate-keyring package in MATE.  The only other solutions I can think of
would entail either rebooting to switch desktops or some hack to kill
the GNOME keyring daemon when starting MATE.  Those are exercises left
to the reader.