Forbidden Filenames

Kapitano kapitano72 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 04:08:17 EST 2013

A few programme titles include characters which are forbidden in Windows
file and folder names.

Is it possible to install a switch (enabled by default?) which converts
them to whitespace or underscores?

Or is there a patch which could be inserted into the Perl file?

When GiP tries to download 'How Tickled am I?', it skips the download
and I get an error code. I'm sorry, I don't know how to send the output
of a DOS window to a text file, but the error looks like:

Command exit code 1 (raw code 256)
failed to record stream
ERROR: Failed to record

If GiP tries to create a folder named with a reserved character (like
'?'), it gives an error at line 3939 of get_iplayer.pl, which is:

mkpath("$prog->{dir}");

...and exits.

Obviously it's tried and failed to created the folder, and this is a
fatal error.

The reserved characters are:

/ (forward slash)
\ (backslash)