How to install get_iplayer on WinXP with perl already installed?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 09:10:56 EDT 2013

On 24/07/2013 12:15, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
> In the instructions at that URL, I was a bit surprised not to see a
> configuration step for the filepath for 'lame'; is that required?  And VLC?

Neither is required.  I've added a note in the instructions to that
effect. LAME once was used for RealAudio streams.  There may still be a
few ancient RealAudio files lurking amongst the BBC archives, but I
don't know of any.  VLC was provided as a convenience for users, but
it's better if you do a full install of VLC separately.  I'm planning to
drop both from the next generation of the Windows installer.  I didn't
have time to get it together for the last release.  Once I do have it
together I'll pose a RFC to the list.

> I was also puzzled somewhat (though this applies to suggested commands
> listed all over the place) at whether or not there's a difference between,
> say
>
>    get_iplayer --prefs-add --output "H:\Gip"
>
> and
>
>    get_iplayer --prefs-add --output="H:\Gip"

No difference, though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to make the docs
consistent.