Netiquette - bottom posting - outdated?

Rob Dixon rob.dixon at gmx.com
Fri Jul 19 07:05:16 EDT 2013

On 19/07/2013 06:19, Xtra wrote:
> Having read (and agreed) with many of the items in the
> http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/get_iplayer  can I suggest
> however, that the requirement for "bottom posting" is out-dated?
>
> This "requirement" dates from 2003 and I believe that the world has has
> since changed and moved on.  Few people these days have the the time or
> inclination to scroll through often repeated screeds of historical
> background to finally get to the latest contribution concerning a topic
> that they may already be involved in and up to speed on.
>
> Top-posting a reply seems more efficient while providing the history
> (below it) if a newcomer is interested.
>
> I don't know how others feel, but time for me, and in most other forums,
> runs downwards.

I wonder what you think has happened since 2003 that changes the way
well-formatted list postings are constructed? Your frustration seems to
be with those who cannot or will not write a well-mannered message
rather than with the requirements themselves. Top posting may be a
panacea for lazy posting, but best of all is well-thought-out
bottom-posting, which is neither TL;DR (too long-winded to be of
interest) nor so brief as to be incomprehensible for want of context.

Your final sentence seems to contradict you. Sure, time runs downwards.
So the latest post should be at the bottom?

Rob