Problem with "Series"

Rob Dixon rob.dixon at gmx.com
Fri Jul 19 06:58:29 EDT 2013

On 19/07/2013 11:10, Rob Dixon wrote:
> On 19/07/2013 10:57, J K.Eason wrote:
>>> Using 2.83 on WinXP I've downloaded an episode of the "A Series of
>>> Psychotic Episodes" radio series with the following included in my
>>> options file:
>>> subdirformat <nameshort>
>>>
>>> The output directory that was created has been given the name "A".
>>> Using --info, it appears that the word "Series" in the Title has
>>> caused <nameshort> to be defined as just that - although <name> is
>>> complete.
>>>
>>> If that word hadn't been included in the title, I idly wonder if
>>> "Episodes" would have caused a glitch.
>>
>> I wonder if that's another side effect of a colon (illegal Windows
>> character) in the filename?
>
> This is either an internal get_iplayer problem or something at BBC's
> end. The `descshort` metadata for the programme is just `A`.

OK this is a job for Dinky. The problem is in sub get_metadata in
package Programme::bbciplayer.

In the block commented

   # Create a stripped episode and series with numbers removed + senum
s##e## element.

the last line does this

   $prog->{nameshort} =~ s/:?\s*Series\s+.+?(:\s*|$)//i;

which effectively deletes "Series" and anything following it from the
programme name. In this case leaving just "A".

If you want to fix it temporarily for yourselves, then find this line
and change it to

   $prog->{nameshort} =~ s/:?\s*Series\s+\d.+?(:\s*|$)//i;

which will only delete "Series" with a number after it. A more elaborate
fix is in order, but the worst this will do is leave a series number on
a programme name if it happens to be numbered in English, like "Series
two" etc.

Rob