New Website

David thebrilliantmistake at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 07:30:31 EDT 2013

Some points:

1) Open Source does not mean free.
The two are often confused.

2) Open Source with a license allowing free use / modification means that
people modify and adapt it as they see fit (typically giving credit to previous contributors).
It does not mean they can 'use' it as they choose to. To be clear, if the usage is for an illegal
purpose, it's still illegal - just because it's open source doesn't void
any liability.

But please, we don't want this thread having animosity to each other....
and there's a real danger of that.

We all LOVE get_iplayer.
We all WISH we didn't need get_iplayer and that the BBC and partners
would offer the same functionality themselves.
We all KNOW that there are legal reasons why the BBC never will be able
to do that (and that's no fault of the BBC in this instance).

So, we have get_iplayer and are stuck with it (and we still love it!)...
but we tip-toe on the edge of legality, and even for those who believe
we are 100% worry free of any legal issues, we still know that problems
can arise at any time if the BBC choose to tighten controls on their
content. This is something none of us want to happen.

Because of the above, SP's website has just raised the issue in our
minds. This absolutely is nothing to do with SP himself, and his efforts
are outstanding and well motivated. We should all be applauding that
right? RIGHT??

We are are now just discussing the Pros and Cons of get_iplayer being
exposed to a wider audience and raising its profile. People are right to
express concern, but we definitely don't want to be infighting. We all
want the same thing.

I think the question is this:

1) How can make iplayer easier to discuss?
2) How can we make it easier to download / find?
3) How can we achieve the 1) and 2) without increasing risk?
4) What is an acceptable level of risk?
5) What are the realistic risks? and what are overhyped risks?
6) What are the consequences of misjudging 5) ?