Radio Downloader featured on this week's R4 'Feedback' programme

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Mon Jul 15 06:15:53 EDT 2013

On 13 July 2013 17:53, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer
<jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> (I really don't udnerstand why the beeb take this point of view, since
> anyone recording broadcast programmes in an analogue way can keep stuff for
> ever.)
It's even more absurd:  under copyright law you're *entitled* to
record broadcasts for certain private purposes, and a live stream over
the internet is a broadcast.  So you can use get_iplayer or similar to
record the live stream at the right time, and that's specifically
permitted by copyright law.  And the "stop using radio downloader now,
but we won't give you an alternative for six months" is kind of lame.

> Does using get_iplayer to fetch radio programmes stay within the limits of
> DRM?
There is no Digital Rights Management on the content downloaded by
get_iplayer (or radio downloader for that matter).

Jon