(not) converting to mp3

Kapitano kapitano72 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 11:26:01 EDT 2013

On 7/10/2013 16:41 PM, Derek Moss wrote:
> Thanks, I'll take a look at those, although it might be easiest to let
> get_iplayer handle the audio/radio programme conversion/extraction and
> manually specify --raw for TV programmes.
>
> Don't the flvs made from radio programmes just contain mp3, aac or wma
> audio anyway? I did try renaming one from flv to aac and that played
> fine in VLC. So is there any need to extract the audio, rather than
> just rename them?

The FLV of radio shows is a very small wrapper for .AAC - or sometimes,
especially for local radio, .MP3. AFAIK, the wrapper contains the header
for an empty video stream, plus assosciated empty timecode list, plus
JPG artwork (if you don't set GiP to strip it out).

So no, it makes almost no difference. Unless you have an MP3/AAC player
that can't handle FLVs - and even then, some of them are smart enough to
figure out that it's 'really' just MP3 of AAC.