File Naming

Don Grunbaum don at grunbaum.co.uk
Tue Jul 9 16:00:42 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "J K.Eason" <john at jeason.cix.co.uk>
To: <get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: File Naming

>> There are a couple of options. I could make the the next rev of the
>> windows installer set fatfilename on by default so that Windows
>> users don't get themselves in trouble with whitespace.  I hate to
>> install useless settings by default, though.  I could also change
>> get_iplayer to always apply fatfilename if whitespace is set, for
>> Windows only.  I think I prefer the latter.  I wouldn't want
>> fatfilename as the default with whitespace on other platforms since
>> it isn't necessary.
>
> At the moment almost half the downloads would fail under Windows if
> whitespace is used on its own, so applying fatfilename with
> whitespace on
> Windows only would seem to be the ideal option.
>
> Regards
>       John

Many thanks to all those who have responded on this thread. I didn't
realise quite what a can of worms would be revealed!

I don't have the knowledge to create a first broadcast date parameter
option, nor do I currently have the time to learn. I presume I would
need to learn perl, and working six days most weeks would preclude
that.

Again many thanks to those who keep this valuable asset working and
improving.

Don.