Error: rtmpdump 16-bit vs. 64-bit; incomplete recordings

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 08:55:14 EDT 2013

On 03/07/2013 13:26, Rachael wrote:
> I believe I have successfully installed everything for the Web PVR
> Manager version. I've tried numerous times to record individual
> episodes of radio programs. Every time the same process occurs.

Just to check - did you use the get_iplayer installer, or did you get
rtmpdump from somewhere else?

> (1) I get a pop-up message withe header "Unsupported 16-bit
> application" which says that "rtmpdump.exe cannot start or run due to
> incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows." I click OK on that
> error message.

It's the first time I can recall anyone reporting that.  What 64-bit
version of Windows are you using - XP/Vista/7/8?

> (2) The Web PVR says, among other things:
> WARNING: Your version of rtmpdump/flvstreamer does not support SWF Verification
> WARNING: rtmpdump/flvstreamer 1.8 or later is required - please upgrade
> INFO: skipping flashaaclow1 mode
> INFO: Trying wma1 mode to record radio: [Program]

This is a consequence of (1), so really just a knock-on effect.

> (3) It runs for a while that way saying it is recording then says it
> completed. The problem is that it never runs for the full length of
> time of the program and never records the entire program. It typically

WMA downloading can be pretty unreliable.  It's only available as a
fallback for the rare occasion when Flash downloading (via rtmpdump) is
unavailable and you're super really incredibly desperate to download a
programme.  It only downloads in real time, so not much of a fallback  I
considered removing it from the default settings for this release.  I
think I'll do that for the next release.

> can get the rtmpdump problem fixed and get the flashaaclow1 mode
> working, that should do what I want and the files should be able to
> save to my computer without having to do live recording for the entire
> time of the program. If that isn't possible, I've got other programs

Yes, with a working rtmpdump you can do just that.

A few users have discovered that other programs or misbehaved installers
interfere with rtmpdump.  Assuming you used the get_iplayer installer,
try this:

First, open the get_iplayer command prompt:

Start -> All Programs -> get_iplayer -> Get_iPlayer

Then run this command at the prompt:

set PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%

That will reset the PATH Windows uses to find programs to its minimum
usable value.  It won't affect the rest of your system - just the window
you're working in.  Hopefully that will eliminate any potential
interference from other programs.

Then run this command:

.\RTMPDump\rtmpdump.exe --help

That should print the help message from rtmpdump.

Assuming the above was successful, try a download:

get_iplayer --type radio --get bells

That should download a 3-minute radio programme, Bells on Sunday (You
may get 2 episodes if you're testing on a Sunday.