rtmpdump updates for raspberry pi/raspbian

Alex Eames alex at translatortips.com
Fri Jan 25 12:37:33 EST 2013

On 24/01/2013 20:17, Jon Davies wrote:
>> On 24/01/2013 17:36, Neill Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alex.
>>>
>>> So were your downloads typically failing before the new version? If so,
>>> this goes some way to confirm that increasing rtmpdump's working buffer
>>> helps solve this problem with fast connections :)
>>>
> Alex, there are a couple of things you could try to confirm this:
>
> on the pi:
>
> downgrade rtmpdump to v2.4 (you should be able to do this with
> aptitude or synaptic, it's probably possible with apt-get too, but
> I've never needed to know how) or crudely just uninstall get-iplayer
> and rtmpdump, and reinstall using $ apt-get install get-iplayer

I chickened out and did it on another SD card which never had
Get_iplayer on it
simple
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install get-iplayer

It installed get-iplayer 2.82-2 and
rtmpdump 2.4+20111222.git4e06e21-1

Downloading culture show in HD
started 1653
ended 1702
~585 Megabytes

but then bombed out after downloading the thumbnail. Don't think I had
FFMPEG on there. ;)
I checked the FLV file on my Windows machine though and it was perfect.

So the download worked just fine. 565 Megs in 9 minutes.

Up next, with FFMPEG now onboard
Spies of Warsaw in HD.
started 1708
finished s/l 1726
1391124 kb

FFMPEG finished 1731 failed to tag MP4 file
But it plays Ok on my Win7 machine

So it looks like RTMPDUMP and FFMPEG did their stuff but Atomic Parsley
didn't

Not quite the conclusive result we thought we might get.