Litigation rears its ugly head ...

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Aug 31 18:57:05 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-31 at 15:29 -0700, Chris J Brady wrote:
> Seems like the Beeb is getting litigatious ...
> http://torrentfreak.com/major-tv-torrent-site-thebox-bz-calls-it-quits-130829/

“The decision to retire the site was not in response to any specific
threat"

"There can be little doubt that the hostile climate referenced by TheBox
can be traced back to actions being planned by City of London Police,
the Federation Against Copyright Theft, the UK Premier League, plus
other local groups such as Rupert Murdoch’s Sky Television."

I don't see any mention of the BBC there. Am I missing something?

> Not good ...

It's a very different situation, surely? The purpose of get_iplayer is
*not* to allow people to do anything that they shouldn't do with BBC
content, and not to violate copyright law. It is to allow people to
access BBC content *within* the rules, on platforms and devices that the
BBC don't support with their own clients.

--
dwmw2