can someone point me to the list instructions please ...

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Aug 31 06:54:55 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-31 at 11:38 +0100, Andrew Moore wrote:
> Some of these posts come to me as attachments instead of text – is
> that a new thing?

No, that's just a bug in your mail client.

> dwmw2’s last post arrived as ATT00159.txt along with smime.p7s and no
> legible text was in the 'message' itself

You should receive two copies of this one — one directly to you, and one
via the list.

The one that comes directly to you will be a simple multipart/signed
MIME part, which contains the message, and its signature (the smime.p7s
"attachment").

The one that comes via the list is slightly more complex in its
structure because the list footer is added to it. So the MIME structure
looks like this:

 1. multipart/signed containing
     1a. My message
     1b. Its signature (smime.p7s)
 2. text/plain list footer.

It sounds like your mailer is failing to parse the latter.

And did you really just send that question *three* times? Once as HTML,
which the list will have rejected but I got my copy. A second time to me
*only*, and a *third* attempt which actually did the right thing?
Personally, I usually give up after after the *second* consecutive
failure to send an email correctly, and wait until I'm sober :)

--
dwmw2