can someone point me to the list instructions please ...

Rob Dixon rob.dixon at gmx.com
Fri Aug 30 14:09:15 EDT 2013

On 30/08/2013 13:59, Mable Syrup wrote:

> I'm sure there must be something, but I can't find it.   I want to
> reply to different items in a thread in a manner that preserves the
> threading.

The correct thing to do depends on the mail client you are using. I see
you are on the Yahoo Mail Web Service, which I think has a `Reply` and a
`Reply to All` button. The safest thing to do is use `Reply to All` and
check the `To` and `Cc` fields on your replt message. If you want to
send a courtesy copy to the original sender then leave his address in
there, otherwise remove it and leave just the list address.

You may find that using just `Reply` creates a reply message with just
the list address in the `To` line. If so then this is the one you want
to use, but it is most likely to be addressed to just the originator of
the message.

Any reply that goes to the list will maintain the threading of the
messages. The only way to break it is by creating and sending a new
message manually, or forwarding one to the list.

(probably not) then use that. If not then use `Reply to All` and remove
the original poster's address unless you want to send a courtesy copy.

You may be interested in this.

     http://www.mail-list.com/reply-to-sender-reply-to-list-reply-to-all/

Rob