MP4 to MP3 (Video+Audio -> Audio)

get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net
Mon Aug 26 14:22:04 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 18:00 +0100, Roger Bell_West wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 03:10:11PM +0100, get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net wrote:
> >OT, I know, but this seems to happens a bit too often on this list. Can
> >the list not insert a Reply-To: header? That would mean that for many
> >people just hitting reply will send it to the list, not an individual.
>
> Which is a worse error: accidentally to send a list message privately,
> or accidentally to send a private message to everyone?

Indeed, I did think of that, and I figured things were perhaps this way
because of the possibility of accidentally making private mails public.
But when you also say:

> >It might be possible for individuals to set their email client to
> >include the header too... but only for this mailing list (I don't think
> >I've seen this exact feature in any email client, but no doubt it is out
> >there).
>
> Any standards-compliant email client will include a reply-to-list
> feature which acts on the RFC2369 headers present in every email
> message. I do not believe the list should encourage users of
> non-standard clients.

I don't think my client, Evolution, is particularly well behaved, I
think it could be ignoring the list-y headers: Reply tries to send to
the individual, not the list. I have to reply-to-all and shuffle things
about. I have been on various lists over the years with various clients,
and I can't remember having problems like this, so perhaps it is my
current set-up and choice of Evolution?

I do agree with sticking to standards though, closed systems suck
(closed by purposeful or accidental incompatibilities).

Cheers
Nick