BBC replacing Flash with its own media player

Bill Denton dentonwe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 08:55:12 EDT 2012

On 20 September 2012 13:49, Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 04:19:40AM -0700, Chris J Brady wrote:
>>Will this affect get_iplayer?
>
> Probably. How can we possibly know until it's deployed and we can test
> it a bit?

I think it should probably fine for now because:
1. get_iplayer doesn't use Android streams, but the main streams that
drive the main website.
2. Looking at the details suggests that it uses Adobe Air which still
plays flash streams:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2012/09/media_player_android_phones_ta.html
"We looked at a number of different solutions, for example, Http Live
Streaming (HLS) which is used to stream BBC media to other platforms.
Unfortunately, HLS isn't supported on Android OS versions prior to
Honeycomb.

In the end, Flash was still the best choice of media format for us to
use. And the only practical technology for us to play this format back
on Android is Adobe Air."

However it the longer term there may problems as I think it will
generally switch to "Http Live Streaming (HLS)".

Bill.