I haven't been able to download using PID for ages....

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 05:26:44 EDT 2012

On 28/09/12 12:44, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> The backslash escapes the quote character, so the value of the -o parameter
> isn't terminated.

I'm a Linux user so I'm used to backslash escaping (and that's why our path
separator is the forward slash :-)

So this is just out of curiosity: Shouldn't the backslashes be escaped? Ie
C:\\Downloads\\BBC? (Or indeed C:\\Downloads\\BBC\\ which would also then be
valid?)

Isn't the fact that it works without, just down to lucky choices of following
characters, or is there something special about escaped quotes? I'm thinking
of paths like C:\test (where \t could be seen as "tab" not "backslash followed
by t".

Would switching to forward slashes work (C:/Downloads/BBC) on Windows? I know
that many of the underlying Windows/DOS libraries support this.

Just curious....