Running on QNAP with ARM

Thomas Finch tom at imagine.fsworld.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 11:50:28 EDT 2012

On 19 March 2012 16:55, Barry Caruth <jbc at caruth.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have experience with get_iplayer and the web interface
> running on an ARM-based QNAP NAS? Any pointers regarding setting it
> up?

I have get_iplayer running happily on ARM under vanilla debian, though
it's on a Linkstation not a QNAP. I'm running stock squeeze which runs
beautifully (if a little slow) and get_iplayer was pretty easy to
install direct from the debian repositories. I hope to post a
walkthrough on my website one day, but need to get round to writing up
my notes!

The only major issue I've had recently is with ffmpeg, when dealing
with some radio downloads - it seems to fail with 'WARNING: aac
conversion failed - retaining aac file' and leaves a 'partial' file
behind, with the xml metadata and download_history ending up referring
to this unconverted file. All well and good, except that the name of
the xml file does not have the 'partial' section, which confuses my
RSS-builder scripts!

I think this an ffmpeg bug which has since been fixed, so hope to fix
it with git version of ffmpeg which is compiling as we speak. I'll let
you know whether it solves the problem.

As for the web-interface, it _is_ horribly slow - though I'll defer to
Jon's better knowledge as to why. Sped up slightly by some good
exclusions, but takes many seconds for each page load.

Anyway, having had it running for a few months now, simply as a PVR
and file server which downloads programmes I want (through a daily
cron job to get_iplayer --pvr), my Linkstation does a grand job.