Using get_iplayer as a Conversion Tool

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 19:33:25 EDT 2012

On 22/03/2012 21:12, conrad1on wrote:
> Thanks, but I can't make head nor tail of that.

If you're not comfortable running applications from the command prompt,
this isn't the forum to cover that topic.  There are plenty of other
resources elsewhere.  If you just don't know where to find FFmpeg, you
receive a copy with get_iplayer.  For a standard installation, it will
be here:

C:\Program Files\get_iplayer\FFmpeg\ffmpeg-0.8-win32-static\bin\ffmpeg.exe

On 22/03/2012 22:49, conrad1on wrote:
> I had a go with WInFF. It's OK, but still nowhere near as quick as get_iplayer itself.

As the post I linked to mentions, the reason get_iplayer converts
quickly is that it doesn't actually convert (or transcode) the audio,
but rather re-muxes it. It is worth pointing out that WinFF can do the
exact same re-muxing (i.e., quick repackaging from AAC to MP4 container)
that get_iplayer does.  However, you would need to create a new WinFF
preset, and I get the impression that is more than you'd like to
undertake.  If anyone else is interested, here are some suggested settings:

Preset Name: aacm4aremux
Preset Label: AAC -> M4A Remux
Preset Command Line Parameters: -vn -acodec copy -absf aac_adtstoasc
Output File Extension: m4a
Category: Audio

This requires the latest WinFF 1.40.  Earlier releases have old versions
of FFmpeg that lack the aac_adtstoasc filter.