What is command line search for archived radio programmes

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 16:50:47 EDT 2012

On 29/06/2012 21:21, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 29/06/2012 19:28, Alastair wrote:
>> A dumb question please from an interested observer and  beginner.  Why
>> is it I can only see
>> the In Our Time archives when searching with --type radio or --type
>> podcast.   What is
>
> Because In Our Time is a radio programme that is also available as a
> podcast.

To amplify: Since (as in the example) you get the full archive using
--pid and --pid-recursive, and those options perform downloads, you
should add --type so the correct download stream is selected.  This is
somewhat dependent on your options file or presets if you use them, but
is true in the typical case.

>> command line "type" option to search for the other archived programmes
>> referred to in
>
> get_iplayer caches programme data separately for tv, radio and podcast.
>   The --type option indicates which cache(s) to search.

Sorry, caching is probably irrelevant to your original question.  One
more time: --type also influences which media stream(s) get_iplayer
attempts to download.  That's why you usually need --type to download
archived programmes.