FFmpeg deprecated (in Ubuntu)?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 15:57:56 EDT 2012

On 27/06/2012 19:08, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:
> Gentoo now has a package virtual/ffmpeg which is fulfilled by either media-video/ffmpeg or media-video/libav.

Thanks for that.  Since we gratefully junked Gentoo at work I haven't
paid much attention to it and it's clear I'm behind the times.  I have
to give them a lot of credit for trying to bridge the divide, but that
seems like a heck of a lot of work for a little bit of user choice.

In the same vein, if anyone knows of other Linux distros that are moving
to libav as the default "ffmpeg" (i.e., what the average user gets with
a default desktop installation), please post on the list.  It would be
good to have a better sense of the landscape before testing any related
changes.