[ANN] get_iplayer 2.82 released

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 19:07:21 EDT 2012

On 25/06/2012 22:47, M2 wrote:
> I have just tried to update and this is what I got:
>
> root at webproxy:~# get_iplayer --update
> get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
>    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use
> --warranty.
>    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
> certain
>    conditions; use --conditions for details.
>
> INFO: Please run the following commands to update get_iplayer using apt
>    wget http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer/packages/get-iplayer-current.deb
>    sudo dpkg -i get-iplayer-current.deb
>    sudo apt-get -f install
> root at webproxy:~# ^C
> root at webproxy:~# wget
> http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer/packages/get-iplayer-current.deb
> --2012-06-25 22:44:52--
> http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer/packages/get-iplayer-current.deb
> Resolving linuxcentre.net... 173.243.123.135
> Connecting to linuxcentre.net|173.243.123.135|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
> Location: http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html
> [following]
> --2012-06-25 22:44:54--
> http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html
> Resolving www.infradead.org... 85.118.1.10, 2001:770:15f::2
> Connecting to www.infradead.org|85.118.1.10|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 10102 (9.9K) [text/html]
> Saving to: `get-iplayer-current.deb'
>
> 100%[==========================================================================================================================================================================================>]
> 10,102      --.-K/s   in 0s
>
> 2012-06-25 22:44:54 (46.3 MB/s) - `get-iplayer-current.deb' saved
> [10102/10102]
>
> root at webproxy:~# sudo dpkg -i get-iplayer-current.deb
> dpkg-deb: `get-iplayer-current.deb' is not a debian format archive
> dpkg: error processing get-iplayer-current.deb (--install):
>   subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
>   get-iplayer-current.deb
> root at webproxy:~#

To the OP: Don't write to me directly.  That's what this list is for.

If you follow the output log above, you'll see that all you actually
downloaded was the get_iplayer home page, not a DEB package.  All the
resources at linuxcentre.net disappeared long ago and now just redirect
to the get_iplayer home page.  Unfortunately, old versions of
get_iplayer like yours have bogus update instructions, which have been
removed in the latest release.  That's why in the release announcement I
said that the self-update facility was not suitable for installations
performed with a package manager (your case) or a Windows installer.

The best thing to do would be to completely remove get_iplayer using
apt-get and reinstall a fresh copy.  If you can just grab the tarball
and install get_iplayer yourself, that should suffice.  If you want to
use apt-get, special measures may be required.  I'm going to guess that
with get_iplayer 2.78 you're using Debian Squeeze.  On my Squeeze
system, I just installed the DEB available here (snapshot for Debian
Wheezy package):

http://snapshot.debian.org/package/get-iplayer/2.82-1/

I also installed ffmpeg from squeeze-backports.  I can't remember which
other dependencies I had to install separately, so just make sure to
also install rtmpdump, mplayer, atomicparsley, id3v2 and
libmp3-tag-perl.  Someone who is more of a Debianista may be able to
give you better directions on this.