Installing on different computer (windows)

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 06:32:33 EDT 2012

On 05/06/2012 10:26, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 05/06/2012 09:47, Lorenzo Martinelli * wrote:
>> One thing that I would like to do is to install it on a different
>> computer and retain the record of the programmes it has downloaded, so
>> that it does not download them again.
>
> Your download history is stored in a file named (appropriately enough)
> "download_history", which can be found in:
>
> Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\.get_iplayer
>
> Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.get_iplayer
>
> Immediately after you install get_iplayer on the second machine, copy
> the "download_history" file from the old machine to the equivalent
> location on the new machine. When you run get_iplayer on the new
> machine, it should use the download history you copied over and prevent
> re-downloading or any programmes.

Simon's reply made me realise I probably answered the wrong question.
If you just want to transfer your get_iplayer installation to another
machine (my earlier assumption), use the above instructions. If you
actually want to keep 2 machines in sync, Simon's suggestion to use
Dropbox (or similar) is the way to go.  Make sure syncing is complete
before running get_iplayer (to avoid overwriting the download history
and programme cache files).