Distorted playback with radio recording.

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:05:03 EDT 2012

On 10/07/2012 17:24, MS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Total get_iplayer newbie, running get_iplayer v.2.82 on Linux
> (Ubuntu/Lucid).
>
> I am trying to get this radio program:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/p00v0fl1
> After "Download complete" I get more errors:
> MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.4.3 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
>
> Playing /Path/Snip/get_iplayer-2.82/Mike_Zeller_-_09_07_2012_p00v0fl1_default.partial.mp3.flv.
> Seek failed
> libavformat file format detected.
> [mp3 @ 0x92b7140]Header missing
> [mp3 @ 0x92b5f30]max_analyze_duration reached
> [mp3 @ 0x92b5f30]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
> [lavf] stream 0: audio (mp3), -aid 0
> Core dumped
> Exiting... (End of file)
>
> The files that download (several attempts at this) play back with
> massive distortion / choppiness. You can hear that words are being
> spoken but there is massive distortion - I would guess that's because of
> the missing mp3 header error.

As a first stab, I suggest installing rtmpdump and trying again.
get_iplayer will automatically use rtmpdump instead of flvstreamer.  On
my Lucid system I got garbage when downloading your programme with
flvstreamer, but rtmpdump produced a playable file.  I didn't see any
errors from mplayer about missing MP3 headers, even in combination with
flvstreamer, but I have a slightly older version of mplayer here.