PVR Manager not finding The Strange Case of the Law

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 08:26:18 EDT 2012

On 06/07/2012 09:46, Derek Moss wrote:
> On 6 July 2012 09:45, Derek Moss <dmgi at stoptheviolence.co.uk> wrote:
> Hmm, wouldn't it be easier just to put whatever commandline is needed
> in pvr_manager.cmd, so that the cache is automatically updated
> whenever the Web PVR Manager is started?

The batch file doesn't have access to your web pvr settings, so it won't
know which caches to refresh.  The settings are stored in a browser
cookie wherever your browser saves cookies, and the cookie may not even
exist if you use a cookie manager of some kind.

What you suggest might work up to a point.  You could add an entry for
the "type" option with your preferred programme types to your options
file and then insert a call to "get_iplayer --refresh" at the top of
pvr_manager.cmd to force a cache refresh before the web pvr launches.
For users with slow connections, that will slow down web pvr startup
noticeably, but if you were going to add this feature you should make it
optional, turned on by a command line switch.  Additionally, you can't
manage your options file from the web pvr gui, but you might not care if
you always search on the same programme types.

The basic question here is whether or not you should have to use the
options file to configure web pvr functions that can otherwise be
managed in the gui.  The guy who wrote the web pvr obviously thought
not.  In general, I agree that the web pvr should remain in its own
little universe.  For one thing, there is no equivalent of the above for
anyone who runs the web pvr as a CGI application in a web server (though
that is most likely a tiny group of users).  More importantly, from a
support perspective it's much easier to communicate "hit Refresh Cache
and search again" when someone complains that they can't find a
programme in the web pvr.  The alternative would be "close your browser,
kill the web pvr, open a command prompt, enter a certain command to
update the options file (which web pvr users may not even know about and
thus might require additional explanation) to add the programme type(s)
you want, restart the web pvr, make sure caches update on startup by
looking for the listing in the terminal window, open your browser and
reconnect to the web pvr, then search again".