Mailing List not showing messages

Rog zulu.romeotangohotel at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 29 08:06:27 EST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Woodhouse" <dwmw2 at infradead.org>
To: "Rog" <zulu.romeotangohotel at ntlworld.com>
Cc: <get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: Mailing List not showing messages

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 10:33 +0000, Rog wrote:
> Hi David
> Thanks, but it's too late as I recently purged my *Sent Items*
> folder.
> <sod's law>

OK. Let me know if/when it happens again.

Also, *please* make sure you trim your citations. Your reply should only
include as much of the previous message as is absolutely necessary for
context. Your message actually included the *whole* of my earlier one,
*twice*!

And worse, it didn't even prefix it each line with the '>' character
which marks it as a quotation, and makes it get displayed differently
(for most people, it'll be grey instead of black so that it's easy to
recognise).

So it's very hard to pick through your message and find the actual
*content*.

> FWIW, my messages were sent to *get_iplayerATlists.infradead.org* with
> new subject line(s)

Would work better if you send to get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org. With
the letters AT instead of the @ sign, that's not a valid email
address :)

How exactly did you compose your message? Did you click 'new message'
and then type in the address? Or did you hit 'reply' on an existing
message and then change the subject line? If that latter, that explains
why your messages didn't get through. Changing the subject line isn't
sufficient to "split" you message from the thread to which you're
replying. So that behaviour is known as 'thread hijacking' since it puts
an unwanted discussion on a completely separate topic, right into the
middle of an existing thread.

If that wasn't it, then I'm not sure what went wrong. As I said, let me
know when you have a specific example that I can look into. I don't see
any messages from you in the moderation queue.

> More to the point...
> Some sort of reply to the OP _on list_ was what I was hoping for...so
> that we (well some of us...) could all benefit.

Er, I *did* reply to the OP on the list, didn't I? As helpfully as I
possibly could, given the lack of specifics in the request...

--
dwmw2