rtmp problem

John Rose john.aaron.rose at btconnect.com
Sun Jan 22 11:32:07 EST 2012

I have some naive questions. I'm using Ubuntu Lucid with get_iplayer
2.80. With get_iplayer Shock -g, I get:
INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
ERROR: Failed to get iphone URL from iplayer site

INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO:
flashvhigh1,flashvhigh2,flashhigh1,flashhigh2,flashstd1,flashstd2,flashlow1,flashlow2 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashvhigh1 mode to record tv: Shock and Awe - The Story of
Electricity: 2. The Age of Invention
INFO: File name prefix =
Shock_and_Awe_-_The_Story_of_Electricity_2._The_Age_of_Invention_p00kjqch_default
RTMPDump v2.4-n25-git60218d0-ppa5~lucid
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license:
GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
followed by lots of:
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet body. len: 65590
428727.861 kB / 2335.80 sec (65.7%)
INFO: Connection timed out, trying to resume.
Resuming download at: 428727.861 kB / 2326.600 sec (65.4%)

Sometimes, it resumes OK; sometimes not.

What's the cause & the cure (if any)?

Does this console output go to stdout or stderr?

PS I've also tried get_iplayer Shock -g --force --raw >get_iplayer.txt.
With that I get lots of:
Resuming download at: 989.063 kB
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
989.063 kB / 0.00 sec
INFO: Connection timed out, trying to resume.