get_iplayer and Windows batch files

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:14:29 EST 2012

On 15/01/2012 21:26, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 05:55:08PM +0000, Clive wrote:
>> I use get_iplayer at the prompt in both Windows and Linux. In
>> Windows, I have tried using batch files in the past - when I wamt a
>> number of d/l and want to automate them. I have found that it does
>> not work. The batch file runs get_iplayer and the first item is duly
>> d/l but then I am returned to the command prompt and the second and
>> subsequent batch lines never run. Is there a way to use get_iplayer
>> from batch files (or from the Linux equivalent) for multiple items?
>
> Why don't you use the special 'once' pvr search? From memory:
>
>    get_iplayer --pvr-add once terms
>    get_iplayer --pvr-add once otherterms
>    get_iplayer --pvr

I think you might be thinking of --pvr-queue:

http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/documentation#PVR%20Usage

That's the way to go for stacking up a set of one-off downloads.  IT
also seems like the PVR functionality would suffice for most regular
downloads as well.  But if that doesn't do the trick for some reason...

If I understand the OP, you're just trying to run get_iplayer multiple
times in series from within a batch file.  Since Windows get_iplayer is
a batch file itself, couldn't you just make a batch file that looks
something like:

cd /d "C:\Propgram File\get_iplayer"
call get_iplayer ...
call get_iplayer ...
call get_iplayer ...

I've done something when testing and it worked well enough.