Accessing the BBC from outside the UK

Andy Wedge andy_wedge at lineone.net
Sat Jan 7 06:57:14 EST 2012

Hi Chris,

Like many, I use Outlook and each mail from David shows it has a 1KB attachment which is irritating when all it contains is details about the get_iplayer mailing lists, URL and email address. I get the same with emails from Jonathan W but they also contain another 1KB attachment 'signature.asc' which contains a PGP signature code. They're very much in the minority as pretty much everyone else's email show just fine. I won't get into a debate about whether Outlook has standard or non-standard approaches to handling email but with millions around the world using it, it probably sets more standards than it breaks.

All this bottom posting guff is just so called 'netiquette' and not default behaviour for many email clients I have used, including Outlook. It does however, keep emails relatively small and focussed. I do find it somewhat ironic that though, that we discuss utilities that allow us to download gigabytes of audio & video in a style that dates back to the ark when a 9.6Kbps modem was considered blindingly quick.

Happy New Year to all.

Andy