Accessing the BBC from outside the UK

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Fri Jan 6 17:20:25 EST 2012

On Friday 06 January 2012 15:37:58 Chris Marriott wrote:

> The fundamental issue is that BBC TV is only accessible to TV licence
> payers, and if you're not a licence payer, you're not entitled to view it.

That's not strictly true.
There is an agreement between the UK and the Irish Republic
that allows RTE and BBC (NI) to be broadcast throughout the island.

Incidentally, I don't think the BBC justifies its embargo on those grounds.
It is based on the difficulty (or expense) of getting the necessary permissions
from the programme makers or owners.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net