Accessing the BBC from outside the UK

Jonathan Wiltshire jmw at debian.org
Thu Jan 5 14:45:46 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 07:01:40PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> But it brought me to the point where I realised
> that much, if not all, iplayer content is not available outside the UK.
>
> I had understood that get_iplayer was a way of getting round the BBC embargo.
> But seems that I was completely wrong?

get_iplayer in itself is not a tool for contravening license conditions.

On a wider note, I am increasingly peturbed at the number of enquiries this
list receives about this sort of thing. I do not think we should encourage
people to access content to which they are not entitled because they do not
hold the appropriate license, by proxy or otherwise. The BBC could make
life very awkward for get_iplayer users if we gain a reputation for
encouraging license-busting.

One measure could be to extend the notice at the top of get_iplayer's
output to include a reminder to this effect.

Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw at debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51