Can I download this embedded audio too?

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Mon Feb 20 12:27:21 EST 2012

On Mon Feb 20 2012 07:29:41 GMT,  Akihiro Ogata wrote:

>Hi,
>I want to record an episode from the Radio 3 Discovering Music Archive.
>
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hlc7p
>Could anyone help me record the episode?

Hello, Akihiro!
Judging from your name and email address, I take it you are located in
Japan...
The vast majority of embedded audio clips on BBC pages that are more than 1
week old past their
first transmission date are geo-restricted to UK IPs only (I assume this is
due to rights reasons).
If you hit play on your browser (with a non-UK IP), you'll get the message:
"Not available in your area"
and the right click error message reads:
" Title: MediaSelector:MediaSelectorError.RESPONSE
 Code: 1"
In fact, not only is access to the needed metadata (and rtmp download
parameters for
get_iplayer) geo-restricted (as is the case with Watch Again Video Content
on the iPlayer itself),
but the actual audio files themselves are stored in geo-blocked Akamai flash
(rtmp) servers.
 There was a much heated debate here in the list some months ago about
accessing UK only content
from overseas (although I believe it was centered more at video/TV content),
so I don't want to add
fuel to that.
 What is documented in the help file is that get_iplayer has http_proxy
support through the -p and
--partial-proxy switches, so if you could  find a working UK proxy you'd use
something like that in
your command:
 ... -p http://proxyhost:proxyport --partial-proxy ...
but this solution will only get you "in front of the door of the rtmp
server", sadly this door will stay closed for you
(proxy details removed):

C:\Program Files\get_iplayer>get_iplayer -p
"http://xx.xx.xx.x:xxxx" --type=radio -i --pid=p00hlc7p --partial-proxy
--modes=flashaacstd --force -w --file-prefix="Discovering Music -
08_04_2006 - Schubert; Lieder[p00mwygc]"
get_iplayer v2.80, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Using Proxy http://xx.xx.xx.x:xxxx
WARNING: Please download and run latest installer or install the XML::Simple
perl
module to use the Series and Brand pid parsing functionality
INFO: Trying pid: p00hlc7p using type: radio
INFO Trying to stream pid using type radio
INFO: pid not found in radio cache
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: flashaacstd1 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashaacstd1 mode to record radio: Discovering Music -
Schubert: Li
eder: Schubert: Lieder
INFO: File name prefix = Discovering Music - 08_04_2006 - Schubert;
Lieder[p00mw
ygc]
RTMPDump v2.4 GIT-2011-12-22 (Compiled by KSV)
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: rtmp server sent error
ERROR: rtmp server requested close
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream file D:\Vangelis\iPlayer Recordings\Discovering
Music
- 08_04_2006 - Schubert; Lieder[p00mwygc].partial.aac.flv via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashaacstd1 mode
ERROR: Failed to record 'Discovering Music - Schubert: Lieder: Schubert:
Lieder
(p00hlc7p)'

For anyone physically in the UK, a working download command for the file
you're after is:

get_iplayer --type=radio -i --pid=p00hlc7p --modes=flashaacstd --force -w --file-prefix="Discovering
Music - 08_04_2006 - Schubert; Lieder[p00mwygc]"

For non-UK IPs:

If you are on Windows, you can configure Internet Explorer (other browsers
don't work for this) to use a working UK http proxy and then go to the page
in question
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hlc7p
The embedded flash player will eventually use protocol rtmpt through
rtmpport 80, and you'll at least be able to hear that audio file in real
time in the browser (use your imagination after that...)
I don't know of a way for get_iplayer to use protocol rtmpt(e)...If you want
to download it with get_iplayer, then you'll have to use a method of
"virtual" UK presence, most probably a VPN.
If chosen VPN restricts rtmpport 1935 (default), you may want to use the
option --rtmpport 80 or --rtmpport 443 (from the help file) in your download
command.

I have helped more than I should've really, so good luck with that :-)

Vangelis