Web PVR Output Not Displayed

Andy Wedge andy_wedge at lineone.net
Tue Aug 21 18:26:11 EDT 2012

> On 20/08/2012 20:41, Andy Wedge wrote:
> > The output is missing if I click "Record" for a program and I've
also
> > noticed that there is no output if I do a "Refresh Cache".
> > In each case, all I see is a blank Firefox window with the address
bar
> > set to 'about:blank', a single tab with the animated 'Connecting...'
> > icon and the 'Waiting for 127.0.0.1...' status message
>
> Thanks for the additional info.  It looks to me as if Firefox is at
fault rather
> than get_iplayer.  When you click on, e.g., "Run PVR", the web pvr
runs some
> Javascript to submit a form and target the response to a new window.
The
> form submit is obviously working since the downloads are successful,
but
> something is preventing the new window from opening properly
(connected
> to the web pvr).  I wouldn't expect the popup blocker to interfere, so
> perhaps you've installed a Firefox add-on that is misbehaving?  In any
event,
> I can't duplicate the problem in any browser, so I'm fairly confident
> get_iplayer is working as intended.
> It's not much, but here are a couple of other things to check:
>
> 1. Connect to the web pvr in another browser.  If you don't have
Internet
> Explorer, try Opera.  If it runs OK in another browser, that would
confirm
> Firefox as the culprit.
>
> 2. Connect to the web pvr with Firefox in safe mode (Help -> Restart
with
> Add-ons disabled...).  If it runs OK, then you'll need to switch back
to normal
> mode, disable all your add-ons, then enable them one at a time until
you find
> the one causing problems.
>
> If a misbehaving add-on isn't at fault, a full uninstall/reinstall of
Firefox might
> be in order.

OK. Let's see if this muddies the water a little...

I disabled all add-ons in Firefox 14.0.1 - still the same problem.
I ran Firefox in Safe Mode - still the same problem.
I switched to IE V8 - still  the same problem.
I've downloaded and installed Opera v12.01 - still the same problem.

All this is when using get_iplayer v2.82,  RTMPDump 2.4 and ffmpeg v0.8
under Win XP SP3

On another machine under Win 7 Pro  (all Windows updates applied) and a
slightly earlier version of get_iplayer (v2.80). RTMPDump and ffmpeg
versions are as per the XP machine and all have been installed for some
time.

Firefox 14.0.1 worked with add-ons enabled but when I tried it with them
disabled, I got the same error. Enabling the add-ons again did not
resolve the problem so now it does not work.
IE V8 - still the same problem
Safari v5.1.7 - still the same problem

Bemused and confused? I certainly am!

Andy