ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header

Martin Topping mtop6867 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 18:58:37 EDT 2012

Using get_iplayer v2.80 on a laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 (the version
you get from the 12.04 repositories).  I haven't been able to download
a single thing with it.  Here's the feedback I get:

 t0p at mars:~$ get_iplayer --get 5
get_iplayer v2.80, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

Matches:
5:	A History of Ancient Britain - Orkney's Stone Age Temple, BBC Two,
Audio Described,Factual,Highlights,History,TV, default,audiodescribed,

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: flashhigh1,flashhigh2,flashstd1,flashstd2 modes will be tried
for version default
INFO: Trying flashhigh1 mode to record tv: A History of Ancient
Britain - Orkney's Stone Age Temple
INFO: File name prefix =
A_History_of_Ancient_Britain_-_Orkneys_Stone_Age_Temple_b01971gm_default
RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream file
/home/t0p/A_History_of_Ancient_Britain_-_Orkneys_Stone_Age_Temple_b01971gm_default.partial.mp4.flv
via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashhigh1 mode
INFO: Trying flashhigh2 mode to record tv: A History of Ancient
Britain - Orkney's Stone Age Temple
INFO: File name prefix =
A_History_of_Ancient_Britain_-_Orkneys_Stone_Age_Temple_b01971gm_default
RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream file
/home/t0p/A_History_of_Ancient_Britain_-_Orkneys_Stone_Age_Temple_b01971gm_default.partial.mp4.flv
via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashhigh2 mode
INFO: Trying flashstd1 mode to record tv: A History of Ancient Britain
- Orkney's Stone Age Temple
INFO: File name prefix =
A_History_of_Ancient_Britain_-_Orkneys_Stone_Age_Temple_b01971gm_default
RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream file
/home/t0p/A_History_of_Ancient_Britain_-_Orkneys_Stone_Age_Temple_b01971gm_default.partial.mp4.flv
via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashstd1 mode
INFO: Trying flashstd2 mode to record tv: A History of Ancient Britain
- Orkney's Stone Age Temple
INFO: File name prefix =
A_History_of_Ancient_Britain_-_Orkneys_Stone_Age_Temple_b01971gm_default
RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream file
/home/t0p/A_History_of_Ancient_Britain_-_Orkneys_Stone_Age_Temple_b01971gm_default.partial.mp4.flv
via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashstd2 mode
ERROR: Failed to record 'A History of Ancient Britain - Orkney's Stone
Age Temple (b01971gm)'
t0p at mars:~$

I had none of this trouble on my old desktop machine, running Ubuntu
10.04.  Yes, I could probably just use the older box and quit moaning,
except it's been put away and very difficult to receive.  And it would
be nice if I could use one of my favourite video downloading apps on
my new laptop.

Is this all down to BBC sabotage or a coding mistake?  Is there a workaround?

Cheers.