podcast expiry policy - BBC: "it is yours to keep forever"

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 03:49:55 EDT 2012

Hi

get-iplayer says it removes "its recorded content" after 30 days.  The
website explicitly says "you must investigate this on a case-by-case
basis" if you want to keep individual podcasts for longer.

But the BBC seems to say otherwise.  Could get-iplayer's policy be
relaxed for podcasts?  (If it _can't_, I think it would benefit from
explicitly gainsaying the BBC's statements).

Often the BBC podcast trailers have said something along the lines of
being able to <download and keep> them.  I checked the current website,
and found this:

    <http://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/questions/podcasts/episode_availability>

    [Q1] For how long are podcast episodes available?

    ... Some podcast episodes will still disappear after seven days (for
    rights reasons or...

    But please don't forget that once you have downloaded a podcast
    episode, it is yours to keep forever and will not expire.
    Unfortunately, if you missed an episode and didn't download it
    within the period of availability we are not able to send you a copy.

Thanks
Alan