max_analyze_duration 5000000 reached

Chris Davies chris at roaima.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 19:56:15 EDT 2012

On 28/04/2012 18:11, Rob Dixon wrote:
> I've seen the error message
>
>   max_analyze_duration 5000000 reached at 5014000
>   Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate

If you a have a fixed bit-rate recording it's pretty trivial to work out
the duration from the bit-rate and file size. If you have a variable
bit-rate recording, though, it's not possible to determine the actual
duration of the programme without running right the way through to the
end. This takes time, and ffmpeg has a cut-off point (in real seconds)
to stop it taking too long to work out the programme duration.

In practical terms, this might mean that a one hour programme is
estimated at 1:05 or maybe only 57 minutes. If it's essential that you
know precisely how long a programme is going to last then you will
probably find an ffmpeg parameter to tweak. On the other hand, if you're
happy that a programme of 1:05 or 0:57 is "probably" actually an hour,
then just leave it be and don't worry.

In answer to your other question, whether it's possible to tweak the
ffmpeg settings from within get_iplayer, I haven't looked so can't help you.

Chris