OT: How to Reply to Digest Thread

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Apr 23 04:48:43 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 09:08 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 23 April 2012 08:43, Alastair <ajebay at errichel.co.uk> wrote:
> > I get the digest for the list and have had all kinds of problems working out how best to reply
> > without including all the list.  One of these attempts recently resulted in my message being
> > bounced so clearly I have not mastered it yet.
> > Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I think the best thing is to start a completely new email with an
> appropriate subject and copy/paste the section from the digest in.
> Better though, if you are planning to contribute significantly is to
> not use the digest.  There are only a few messages each day after all.

Best just not to use the digest. Especially not for replying. You can
use the mailing list archive to reply to messages — the mailto: link at
the top of each message, although it *looks* like it'll only mail the
author of the message you're reading, will actually to back to the list.
And with correct threading headers too, if your mail program honours
mailto: links correctly.

For example, the first link at the top of
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2012-April/002832.html

is "mailto:get_iplayer%40lists.infradead.org?Subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20OT%3A
%20How%20to%20Reply%20to%20Digest%20Thread&In-Reply-To=%
3C100.b80501003308954f.002%40errichel.co.uk%3E"

--
dwmw2