ffmpeg and libav fork - Ubuntu & Debian users

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 18:39:27 EDT 2011

On 13/09/2011 22:08, richard_get_iplayer wrote:
> mean that I won't be able to use get_iplayer on Ubuntu if I upgrade to
> Natty+?

You should be OK.  The package still includes an "ffmpeg" binary, which
is what get_iplayer needs.  The Natty repo has version 0.6.2 built from
the libav source tree, but 0.6.2 which was tagged shortly after the
fork, so the 0.6.2-tagged code is virtually (if not completely)
identical in both source trees.  If you're upgrading from Maverick, I
think you'll be moving from ffmpeg 0.6, so you shouldn't see much
difference, if any.