Wot no tags?

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 04:51:00 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 13:25 +0100, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 31/08/2011 10:24, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > like the only way is to build it from source. I am not afraid of
> > building from source, but a quick look at the download indicates that it
> > is the Mac build code - not the usual "./configure&&  make&&  su -c make
> > install" incantation.
>
> The Sourceforge distribution of AtomicParsley is long-dormant, but
> someone else has picked up the torch, and created the necessaries for
> autoconf-based build.  To roll your own, start here:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/wez/atomicparsley/

Hi Dinky,

Thanks for your ever-helpful advice.

Once I got the compilation tool-chain working on my virgin Fedora 15
virtual machine this compiled and ran perfectly. A couple of tests
showed that get_iplayer was using it and creating properly tagged
podcasts.

I have now installed it on my production F15 server and all is well. I
am a happy bunny - thank you!

> > Dinky - guess the Debian build works for your Ubuntu setup?
>
> It has been brought downstream into Ubuntu repos, but I also built my
> own from the above source.  Either works OK, but the newer version from
> bitbucket supports a few additional tags.

It seems a shame that such useful (crucial?) functionality is provided
only by a (relatively) obscure tool that is not widely available in the
repos of the mainstream Linux distributions. I would not have found the
forked version but for your help - I was struggling to build the Mac
version which, as you say, is long dormant (last updated in 2006), but
comes top of the google searches. I now see that the "wez" version is
had told me about it.

I know this is not a get_iplayer issue, but is there anything that can
be done?

Anyway - thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated...

Mark