Windows installer: update to LAME 3.99

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 20:59:02 EDT 2011

I have posted an update to the LAME build used by the get_iplayer 4.4
for Windows installer.  I was forced to update the installer
configuration because the LAME 3.98.4 builds were rather unfortunately
removed from the upstream repository when version 3.99 builds were
added.  This update should prevent error messages appearing when the
installer attempts to download LAME.

NOTE: You do *not* need to update!  Of course, you may update if you
wish.  Although still referenced in the get_iplayer script, LAME is no
longer actually used.  It was left in the installer package as a
courtesy for anyone who might have some use for it.  After this, I think
it is headed for the chop.

How to update:

1. You *must* have previously upgraded to get_iplayer 4.4 for Windows.
The automatic update does not work with earlier versions.  If you
upgrade to 4.4 after reading this, you will already have the latest LAME.

2. To update an existing installation, just run the get_iplayer 4.4
installer.  If you don't have the copy you originally used to upgrade
get_iplayer for Windows, you can download a fresh copy here:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe

3. After you click through the first installer page, you should see a
notice that an update for LAME is available to upgrade from 3.98.4 ->
3.99.  Click through to the component selection page and you should see
LAME automatically selected for installation.  You may still deselect it
at this point, or exit the installer altogether.  If you elect to
proceed, the installer will overwrite the current version of LAME with
the new version.

Note: If you elected not to install some components when you upgraded to
4.4, you will also see update notices for those components.  You can
deselect them in the component selection page.

DIY Windows users can find the updated LAME here:

http://www.exe64.com/mirror/rarewares/lame3.99-20111018.zip