Dud rows of pixels with ffmpeg-static

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:54:16 EDT 2011

On 18/10/2011 17:17, Neill Mitchell wrote:
> I believe version 0.7.2. will suffer form the dud pixels problem as the
> patch only went into the 0.8
> branch.

We're talking about slightly different things.  There is no 0.8 branch
in the upstream source for the Ubuntu ffmpeg package (they use the
libav.org fork), so you must be sourcing the ffmpeg.org repo, which is
also the source of the PPA build.  The short version:  An initial patch
that addressed the "dud pixels at bottom of HD video" problem was
committed last November, before the Great FFmpeg Schism.  The PPA ffmpeg
build carries that patch.  The initial patch was tweaked subsequently in
the libav.org fork, and that tweak was picked up by ffmpeg.org and
eventually incorporated in both their 0.7 and 0.8 branches.  There has
been a more recent tweak in the ffmpeg.org code, but that is only
available in HEAD.

The upshot for Ubuntu 11.10 users is that you can take your pick of
ffmpeg implementations.  I've tested the PPA build, the Ubuntu build,
and a DIY build of 0.8.5 from ffmpeg, and they all appear to handle HD
video appropriately.  FWIW, I also checked the 0.7.5 version from
ffmpeg.org supplied with Fedora 15, and it works as well.  If you're on
an earlier version of Ubuntu, I still recommend you use the PPA build or
a recent DIY.  Neill says the PPA build didn't work on 11.04, so more
data points needed to nail that down.  Ideally, we will be able to
dispense with custom ffmpeg builds in subsequent Ubuntu releases.