Dud rows of pixels with ffmpeg-static

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 19:04:55 EDT 2011

On 14/10/2011 16:12, Neill Mitchell wrote:
> I switched from using ffmpeg 0.6.2-4:0.6.2-1ubuntu1.1 that ships with
> Ubuntu 11.04 to ffmeg-static git-N-30582-gef28c7b
>
> I now see about 10 rows of dud pixels at the bottom of all HD
> programmes. The best way I can describe it is it looks like an old VCR
> with the head tracking out!

If we're talking about the same thing, I saw just the opposite result
when I upgraded on Natty.  The PPA ffmpeg output for HD downloads looked
better to me after the upgrade.  The Ubuntu-supplied ffmpeg sees the FLV
file created by RTMPDump as 1280x724 (instead of 1280x720) and demuxes
to an MP4 file with the same dimensions, so there is a strip of extra
cruft at the bottom.  When this happens, you should see it in the ffmpeg
output from get_iplayer, usually accompanied by a message about
"brainfart cropping not supported".  Sometime last year, Apparently, the
BBC encode with non-standard dimensions, but different tools give
different information about the FLV files.  Some identify the files as
1280x724, some as 1280x720.   I would guess someone has come up with a
more definitive answer since this issue first surfaced last year.
Anyway, my PPA-supplied ffmpeg identifies the FLV file as 1280x720 and
demuxes to 1280x720 (again, this is reflected in the ffmpeg output), so
no strip of extra cruft at the bottom.  I guess the PPA ffmpeg is
smarter and crops the video, but I don't know that for fact.  That's as
far as I ever got into it.  If you're seeing the opposite behaviour,
vive la différence.  At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious,
you can always swap back to the Ubuntu-supplied ffmpeg when necessary
with the --ffmpeg option, if it will give you better results.