Quality Variation

Michael Ireland michael at mpireland.me.uk
Mon Oct 3 11:22:33 EDT 2011

>> I want to download all five episodes of Composer of the Week (26-30
>> September) on Radio 3. Monday and Wednesday (c.26.6 MB) have a bit rate
>> of
>> 56kbps and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (c.100MB) have a bit rate of
>> 192kbps.
>>
>> Doeas anyone know a way of getting a higher bit rate for Monday's and
>> Wednesday's editions?

> bat guano:
>It's like you said, Monday and Wednesday's shows are currently 56Kbps, the
>other three are 192Kbps.
>Maybe the BBC will do something about it if they receive complaints.

I have another overlapping program - Radiodownloader - and it produces files
for all 5 days of 140-170MB and MediaInfo provides the following:

General
Complete name                    : C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My
Documents\Downloaded Radio\Composer of the Week Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741)
Years of Travel 28-09-11.mp3
Format                           : MPEG Audio
File size                        : 149 MiB
Duration                         : 1h 5mn
Overall bit rate mode            : Constant
Overall bit rate                 : 320 Kbps
Album                            : Composer of the Week
Track name                       : Composer of the Week: Antonio Vivaldi
(1678-1741): Years of Travel
Performer                        : BBC Radio 3
Genre                            : Podcast
Recorded date                    : 2011
Writing library                  : LAME3.98r
Cover                            : Yes
Cover description                : ÿþc
Cover type                       : Cover (front)
Cover MIME                       : image/jpeg
Comment                          : Donald Macleod focuses on how, having won
over his home crowd in Venice, Vivaldi set out to capitalise on his growing
fame by finding work and influential patrons abroad.

Audio
Format                           : MPEG Audio
Format version                   : Version 1
Format profile                   : Layer 3
Mode                             : Joint stereo
Duration                         : 1h 5mn
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 320 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 149 MiB (100%)
Writing library                  : LAME3.98r
Encoding settings                : -m j -V 4 -q 5 -lowpass 20.5