Quick and dirty fix to get get_iplayer 2.80 working on Ubuntu 11.04

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 09:50:08 EDT 2011

On 31 October 2011 10:21, Jonathan Wiltshire <jmw at debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:08:43PM +0100, Jon Davies wrote:
>> I had a look at what I've done with dependencies, and I'm confused as
>> to why this breaks. Perhaps someone who knows ubuntu and/or debian
>> packaging better than I do can help.
>
> What does your debian/control say?

It's pasted below.  It's based on the rtmpdump control file from
maverick (which I think was the latest when I first repackaged the
updated version of rtmpdump), but with a few changes to things like
maintainer, vcs, and the build-deps.

I wondered if the behaviour being seen is due to Ubuntu handling
things like backports differently - it used to be the case that
enabling the backports repository upgraded *everything* for which
there was a backport.  But from Oneiric onwards, the behaviour is that
the backports are only installed if you specifically select them.  I'm
wondering if it's applying the same sort of rules to other
repositories.  In which case I could
(a) build a statically-linked rtmpdump (which avoids the problem)
(b) change the dependencies to require a specific version of librtmp0

the problem with (b) is that librtmp0 has changed in 2.4, and isn't
versioned like most dynamically linked libraries, so I can't build a
new version and leave the existing one (as used by other packages) in
place.  (And I don't have the knowledge, or the time to acquire it, to
work out how to version the library properly ;-)  This is the same
problem I had with backporting ffmpeg to lucid when I eventually gave
up and built a static version instead.  I seem to be heading down the
same road for rtmpdump... ;-)

Jon

---

Source: rtmpdump
Maintainer: Jon Davies <jon at hedgerows.org.uk>
Build-Depends: cdbs,
               libssl-dev,
               zlib1g-dev
Standards-Version: 3.9.0
Section: web
Homepage: http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/

Package: rtmpdump
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Suggests: ffmpeg, mplayer
 A small dumper for media content streamed over the RTMP protocol (like BBC's
 iPlayer high quality streams). Supplying an rtmp url will result in a dumped
 flv file, which can be played/transcoded using ffmpeg/mplayer, etc.

Package: librtmp0
Section: libs
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Architecture: any
 A small dumper for media content streamed over the RTMP protocol (like BBC's
 iPlayer high quality streams). Supplying an rtmp url will result in a dumped
 flv file, which can be played/transcoded using ffmpeg/mplayer, etc.
 .
 This package contains the shared libraries, header files needed by
 programs that want to use librtmp.

Package: librtmp-dev
Section: libdevel
Depends: librtmp0 (= ${binary:Version}), libgnutls-dev, ${misc:Depends}
Architecture: any
 A small dumper for media content streamed over the RTMP protocol (like BBC's
 iPlayer high quality streams). Supplying an rtmp url will result in a dumped
 flv file, which can be played/transcoded using ffmpeg/mplayer, etc.
 .
 This package contains the development libraries, header files needed by
 programs that want to compile with librtmp.